It’s been almost a year since I wrote my first review on the treatment essence, which was a staple in my skincare routine for so many years. Thanks to one of the saleswomen at the Missha pop up store, I was hooked to the original version and often went back to repurchase the product. I think early this year, Missha revamped the brand and came back with a new formula for the treatment essence, adding intensive to the name to depict the new upgrade. I’ve been using the old formula for 2 years, and the new revamped formula for 3 months. Today’s post will be a small recap of what the essence can do, and how I found the new formulation. You can check out my old post, here.
One note before I begin, some people are questioning the authenticity of their essence they bought online. Some people have a bottle that says ZYOSYS on it, and some people have one without ZYOSYS. Be warned that buying online is never safe and you may have been caught unlucky, but bottles with ZYOSYS on it are authentic and you guys have the new packaging before the essence revamp. Bottles without ZYOSYS on it, take care that you actually have a real bottle and not a fake product in your hands. If in doubt, only buy bottles that have INTENSIVE written on it, as you’d be more than likely own a real bottle of essence after the revamp. By the way, this essence is notorious for being a dupe of the SKII Treatment essence, which I’m sure you guys are all familiar with.
The very FIRST step to your skin care regimen. Control the rhythm of your skin and experience daily improvement!
Back to the Basics, a stepping stone to a healthier and new skin. The First Treatment Essence contains 80% Fermented Yeast Concentrate, which absorbs into skin instantly to energize your skin; similarly to ingredients that make up the NMF (Natural Moisturizing Factor). Also contains Niacinamide, a Vitamin B3 component, to improve skin elasticity, enhance skin barrier function, and revive skin tone and texture. DN-Aid, made from Cassia-Alata Extract, provides vitality to aging skin, protects DNA from aging caused by UV rays, and promotes restoration of damaged DNA. The mild formula was developed as a fluid type with low viscosity to increase the rate of absorption on the skin to provide soothing, hydrating, brightening, and wrinkle repairing benefits.
The FTE (First Treatment Essence) is an essence that you apply right after you cleanse your face. Think of it as a skincare booster that amplifies your skincare products you use after this baby. If you have a cleaning toner, use that before you use the FTE. If you don’t have a cleaning toner, then use the FTE before your regular toner to condition your skin and make your other products after this work better.
The FTE claims to do the following:
- Skin Boosting
- Wrinkle Repair
- Improves Skin Tone
- Balances Sebum Control
Their strongest claims were skin moisturizing and skin firming. A study was conducted in Korea with 22 women, over a period of 4 weeks. Within a month’s duration, studies show that using the FTE increased skin firming by 33.86% and skin moisturizing by 35.19%. The essence was blind tested against other branded treatment essences; SKII included. Missha’s Time Revolution was picked as the #1 essence during blind testing, and is revealed to not only be more “effective” than SKII, but so much cheaper as well. The FTE is free from parabens, alcohols, artificial colors, fragrances, silicone and mineral oils, is KFDA (Korean Food and Drug) approved, and is intended for those at age 20 and onwards. The FTE can be used by all skin types and is against testing on animals.
This product alone has 8 main functions it claims to improve. I wanted to talk about how I felt with each claim.
- SKIN BOOSTING: I found that without the FTE in my skincare routine, my skin lacked vitality and health. I heavily rely on this essence to keep my skin condition at it’s optimal state.
- FIRMING: I noticed that my skin has become incredibly bouncy and looks tighter, as this has a huge impact on the condition of my pores. This really does help firm your pores incredibly well, and with regular use, it will maintain and prevent pore enlarging which results in firmer looking skin.
- MOISTURIZING: It has come down to the point I will soak cotton pads with this essence and use them as a mask, just for the hydration capabilities this FTE has. This literally feels like water on the skin and absorbs almost instantly the moment it comes into contact with your face. Don’t bother using a cotton pad to apply this essence; use your hands and feel how quickly your skin absorbs the FTE without wasting a single drop of it.
- WRINKLE REPAIR: I can’t comment personally on this claim since I don’t have wrinkles to begin with. I can note however, that my forehead doesn’t crease with my makeup anymore, which is a good indication of how this product works for future wrinkling so I suppose it’s somewhat true at the moment.
- SOOTHING: This essence did not aggravate my sensitive areas on my face whatsoever, and when used as a cotton mask, I noticed that aggravated areas from over exfoliating or damage were instantly soothed and became calm whenever I used the FTE. This is a great product for sensitive skin.
- IMPROVES SKIN TONE: Without using my whitening products, this made my skin incredibly dewy in appearance and very healthy looking. Teamed with my whitening products, the FTE amplified the whitening effects and I noticed that my skin tone became even a lot quicker than without, and also my skin has not darkened during Summer.
- SMOOTHING: The FTE works to soften the skin texture, firm it and improve skin health overall. Using the FTE alone as a toner and following up only with lotion, I was able to notice my skin texture improving significantly, so when teamed with a good skincare routine, this maintains skin smoothness and suppleness, almost guaranteed.
- BALANCES SEBUM CONTROL: This is probably the only claim I can’t give a thumbs up for. Despite it controlling oil around my forehead very well, my nose lacked any sebum control and this essence didn’t do anything to reduce it whatsoever. I’d say for normal to combination skin may be okey, but if you’re incredibly oily, then this isn’t something to put your hopes on.
Just like the ZYOSYS formula, the INTENSIVE comes with 150mL of product in eat package, with an open shelf life of 9 months. The packaging is very sturdy being tempered glass, but isn’t travel friendly with not only it’s size, but design. The smaller 30mL bottle however, is made of plastic and is ideal for holidays or any traveling. The bottle is recyclable, but the cap isn’t, so once you’re done, then toss your cap in the general disposable bin, and the bottle in a recycling bin. I wanted to point out again, that the FTE revamped with a new formula, so below are the ingredients list for both, the old and the new formulas of the FTE.
ZYOSYS INGREDIENTS: Saccharomyces Ferment Filtrate, Propanediol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract, Niacinamide, Polyquaternium-51, Bifida Ferment Lysate, Ulmus Davidiana Root Extract, Raffinose, Amaranthus Caudatus Seed, Piper Methysticum Leaf/Root Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Beta Vulgaris Root, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis, Chamomile Extract, Phellodendron Amurense Bark, Cassia Alata Leaf Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Tromethamine, Water, Adenosine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Lactic Acid, Phenoxyethanol.
INTENSIVE INGREDIENTS: Saccharomyces Ferment Filtrate, Bigida Ferment Lysate, Propanediol, Niacinamide, Polyquaternium-51, Ulmus Davidiana Root Extract, Betaine, Amaranthus Caudatus Seed Extract, Pirper Methysticum Leaf/Root/Stem Extract, Beta Vulgaris Root extract, Phellodendron Amurense Bark Extract, Cassia Alata Leaf Extract, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pentylene Glycol, Water, Trehalose, Disodium EDTA, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Adenosine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Raffinose, Tromethamine, Acetic Acid, Lactic Acid, 1-2-Hexanediol, Caprytyl Glycol, Hexapeptide-9 Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate
The ZYOSYS formula is a great combination of ingredients that aren’t acne triggering, nor damaging for the skin. Each ingredient are green flagged with no potential harm to your skin, apart from two that have been deemed yellow category, though this is nothing to be concerned about. The INTENSIVE formula however, has one acne inducing ingredient sitting at level 1 category. This ingredient however, is not enough to cause any breakouts, although YMMV. The INTENSIVE also has three yellow category ingredients, though once again, nothing to be concerned about.
- Not tested on animals
- Dupe for SKII Treatment essence at a quarter of the cost, retailing at around about $50
- No parabens, alcohol, mineral oils, added colors, fragrances or silicones
- Great for all skin types, even sensitive
- The claims seem pretty spot on, as I noticed a huge difference using the FTE than without
- Only 1 potential acne inducing ingredient, marked at level 1 for minor cause
- Almost similar to the old formula, and has the same effects as the old formula
- 150mL OF GOODNESS
- You can substitute for a toner, or use the essence as a mask with cotton pads
- I don’t know if I can find any that stand out. Both the ZYOSYS formula and the INTENSIVE formula have no real cons, other than the fact that $50 for an essence may be too pricey for some people
- It also has an open shelf life of 9 months, notably shorter than other essences or toners from other brands, possibly due to the high content of fermented yeast extracts
- I quite like the scent, but this does have somewhat of a beer smell, which might put some people off using this
REPURCHASE RATE ★★★★★
★☆☆☆☆ – I want all my time wasted and all my money back for this crap. If I could turn back time and tell my past self not to use this, then I would without a single doubt. If I find this in my collection or if someone gave it to me, I’ll set it on fire and pray to the All Maker to repent for using such a terrible product.
★★☆☆☆ – It’s pretty bad and I definitely wouldn’t recommend this to anybody, but it’s nice to give it a go for myself. I’ll only use it if it was given to me for free and I’m severely desperate.
★★★☆☆ – It’s nice but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get another one for myself. Maybe if it was on special then I’d consider buying it, otherwise there are better products that I like a lot more than this.
★★★★☆ – It’s quite good and I would repurchase definitely. It’s not a staple yet, but if I can’t find anything better, then I’ll happily stick to this product.
★★★★★ – OH MY GOD GET YOUR HANDS ON THIS BECAUSE IT IS A LIFE SAVER AND WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY EVEN IF YOU BECOME POOR BECAUSE OF IT OMG
Now that you know what the stars mean, you can figure out what I mean by my personal ratings.
VERDICT: Overall, I see no difference in either formula, and no matter which version you get, I don’t think you will be disappointed at all. I love the FTE so much, and swear by it for everything. It can address so many skin concerns at once, without overly breaking the bank account. If you want something that can boost your skin condition without the wasted time or money, then get your hands on this essence as soon as possible. Be prepared to use this a lot though, since once 9 months is over, this baby will worsen your skin if used when expired. You also definitely want to store this out of direct sunlight, as that can reduce your product’s efficiency and effectiveness severely.
Have you tried the INTENSIVE version before? Maybe you’ve already tried the ZYOSYS formula and looking to try the new version. Let me know down below your thoughts on the product, or whether you’d want to purchase one for yourself. You can also talk to me through my Facebook, and soon enough, my new twitter account as well. Until the next post.
Anthony signing out.